- To relieve those who suffer distress or despair as a result of being disadvantaged or oppressed in their pursuit of basic human needs
- To provide, for these people, a drop-in center dedicated to their physical, spiritual, and emotional well-being, where they and other compassionate people might offer each other acceptance, support, enrichment and hope, might share or exchange any surpluses of food, clothing, or household goods, and enjoy the opportunity to participate in the operations of the center
- To nurture the community’s concern for the circumstances of suffering and a willingness to respond to peoples’ needs either directly or through support of social service agencies
- To cooperate with other persons, organizations, or authorities in arrangements, activities, or projects as shall be deemed to serve these purposes
Whispers of Hope is a non-profit charitable organization motivated to empower individuals by providing community support, nourishment, and essentials in a safe and welcoming environment.
Our Thrift Store is located in the 3rd Street Plaza in Grand Forks BC, near Lordco, alongside Mama’s Pizza, Connect Hearing, and Ultimate Hockey.
When in operation, our Community Kitchen serves coffee and lunch every weekday to anyone who stops by. We have recently acquired a commercial lease, and will be renovating with plans to be back open before the Summer of 2019.
We accept cash (and cheque) donations, as well as appropriate clothing and household items to sell in our Thrift Store. We unfortunately cannot accept large furniture items and encourage you to please also donate to the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore.
Profits from our Thrift Store support our Community Kitchen, along with the aid of community donations, grants, and fundraising events. Whispers of Hope relies heavily on volunteerism and the generous contributions many community members have made – Kudos to all involved!
“Inspiring community connections one person at a time”
Members of the Board:
- Louise Heck – Chair
- Tammy Battersby – Vice Chair
- Kim McLellan – Secretary
- Claudette Parisien
- Duane Foster
- Melissa Shulga – Center Coordinator